Welcome to Tuesday, everyone!
Hey, by the by, just to update you on the schedule for the week – today we will be writing an impromptu essay about The Metamorphosis, tomorrow we will be reviewing for our unit test, our test is Thursday, and on Friday we are doing something super special where you’ll all go to a different class than normal. AND THEN IT’S FALL BREAK!!!!
- ELAGSE9-10RL1 Cite strong and thorough textual evidence to support analysis of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text.
Learning Target: Students will practice citing evidence from The Metamorphosis in order to validate or refute the claim that Gregor is a monster.
Today we’re going to be writing an impromptu essay…sort of. So, for the last couple of essays in here I’ve cut you loose and asked you to make an argument. This time around, we’re going to focus in on a specific part of an argument, citing evidence. Did you do this in 9th lit? I hope so….
Each of you will write an essay in class today, but you’re going to do it using a frame I’ve created for you. Yes, you do have to copy down all the words, and fill in the blanks with your own.
- The first two blanks should be filled with quotes from the story.
- The second two blanks should be fill with paraphrases from the story.
For each quote or paraphrase, you will write the page number down in the small blank in the parentheses.
Here’s the essay frame if you’re writing from home: Metamorphosis essay framework
After we take some time to do this essay together, we are going to check out some book covers:
After we view each of these book covers, I want you to complete the following ticket out the door:
- Choose one of the book covers we reviewed in class. Describe what is happening on that cover. Then, write down ten adjectives that go with the cover.
- For example, “I chose cover 4. It shows Gregor waking up as a giant bug. Adjectives: scary, weird, abnormal…”
- Turn it in to the basket!
Differentiation: Process – printed frame given as needed; Product – quote/paraphrase requirements lowered as needed.
Assessment: Impromptu essays be graded.