Standard: ELAGSE11-12RI4 Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in a text, including figurative, connotative, and technical meanings; analyze how an author uses and refines the meaning of a key term or terms over the course of a text (e.g., how Madison defines faction in Federalist No. 10).
Learning Target: I can determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in the text and I can summarize the opinion of a writer using textual details as support.
Opening Session: Sub attendance!
- Students should get their Springboard books
- Do activity 3.2 on page 203:
- Read the 1st Amendment
- Fill in the chart with definitions (they can use their phones to look them up)
- Do questions 2 and 3
- Read “The Role of Media in a Democracy” on page 205-208
- Do Second Read questions 4-12
- This will be GRADED, so make sure you do it!!!
Closing Session: Clean up the room and thank the sub!
Assessment: Informal (book check)
Differentiation: Process (scaffolding)