- ELAGSE9-10RL1 Cite strong and thorough textual evidence to support analysis of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text. Georgia ELA
- ELAGSE9-10RL3 Analyze how complex characters (e.g., those with multiple or conflicting motivations) develop over the course of a text, interact with other characters, and advance the plot or develop the theme. Georgia ELA
- ELAGSE9-10RL7 Analyze the representation of a subject or a key scene in two different artistic mediums (e.g., Auden’s poem “Musée de Beaux Arts” and Breughel’s painting Landscape with the Fall of Icarus), including what is emphasized or absent in each treatment. Georgia ELA
Students will be able to analyze the similarities and differences in the two artistic representations of the Death of Hector we have studied as a class.
The Iliad vs. Troy
Wolfgang Peterson’s 2004 film Troy is a modern retelling of the story of the Trojan War. Homer’s Iliad is the authoritative story of the war, dating back to 700 BC. Although the movie and the book tell the same story, there are many differences between them. Your assignment is to write a 500-word (2 FULL pages) essay analyzing WHY the moviemakers changed parts of the book.
You might consider the following topics:
|· The presence or absence of the gods
· Hector’s death
· Patroclus and Achilles’s relationship
|· The portrayal of Bressius
· Paris and Helen’s relationship
· Menelaus’s death
Your essay should go beyond simply explaining the differences between the movie and the book. You should attempt to analyze WHY the moviemakers made specific changes to the story, considering what is emphasized or absent in each presentation.
Trade papers with a friend and give each other some constructive feedback 🙂