Goals for the Week:
- Follow along with the daily readings of short stories.
- Continue working on your Choice Board project
- Continue to collaborate with teachers and classmates
- Read “The Monkey’s Paw” by W.W. Jacobs
- Analyze various interpretations of the story
- Play a virtual escape room!
- ELAGSE9-10RL1 Cite strong and thorough textual evidence to support analysis of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text
I can read and analyze “The Monkey’s Paw” so that I can participate in a virtual escape room!
The story we’re reading today is so famous it was actually spoofed by The Simpsons! If you have Disney+, go check out The Simpsons Season 3 Episode 7, “Treehouse of Horror II.”
If you don’t have Disney+, you can watch a highly edited down version here on YouTube:
Your assignment for this unit!
You will have one major assignment for this unit, and you get to choose it! Visit the choice board and select one project to complete about one story. In other words,
- Choose one of the short stories we read over the next two weeks.
- Choose one project from the Choice Board
- Here is the full list of stories and the Choice Board.
- Complete your chosen project about your chosen story by Friday, May 1st, at 11:59pm
Today’s Story: “The Monkey’s Paw” by W.W. Jacobs
Today we’re doing something a little different! After you finish reading the story, you get the chance to participate in a virtual escape room!! Read the story linked above, and then go see if you can solve the puzzle!
Were you successful at the escape room? For your closing session today, your job is to message your teacher over Remind and tell them whether or not you were able to escape!
Please take two seconds to message your teacher – we are trying to get a count of who is following along and who is not. We would like to give you credit for the work you are doing!!
Looking Ahead: Tomorrow’s Story
If you want to get ahead on things, here is the story we’re reading on Monday: