ELAGSE9-10RL7 Analyze the representation of a subject or a key scene in two different artistic mediums (e.g., Auden’s poem “Musée de Beaux Arts” and Breughel’s painting Landscape with the Fall of Icarus), including what is emphasized or absent in each treatment. Georgia ELA
I can analyze a particular point of view regarding a cultural experience expressed in literature and art.
Opening Session (15 minutes)
- Ask the class: does anyone know anything about Frida Kahlo?
- Read and discuss “from Frida, a Biography of Frida Kahlo” (1.6)
Work Session (52 minutes)
After we go over the article and talk about where we marked things, we are going to check out some artwork by Frida Kahlo. This painting is called Self-Portrait on the Borderline Between Mexico and the United States.
We’ll examine this painting using the OPTIC strategy! I’m just full of strategies today! OPTIC stands for
- Overview: Write notes on what the visual appears to be about
- Parts: Zoom in on the parts of the visual and describe any elements or details that seem important
Title: Highlight the title if you can
- Interrelationships: Use the title as the theory and the parts of the visual as clues to detect and specify how the elements of the graphic are related
- Conclusion: Draw a conclusion about the visual as a whole. What does the visual mean? Summarize the message of the visual in 1-2 sentences
After analyzing the painting, I want to give you the requirements for our next project in here, which is a Frida Kahlo-inspired poster about yourself. Here’s the deal:
- Create a poster inspired by Frida Kahlo’s Self-Portrait on the Borderline between Mexico and the United States. You may follow the painting’s format as closely as you wish (by putting yourself in the middle and surrounding yourself with objects related to your culture) or not at all. Your poster should be on standard 8.5×11 printer paper, in color (or shaded black and white, like a charcoal or pencil sketch). You will present your poster to your peers in a gallery-walk format using a notecard for reference.
Closing Session (3 minutes)
- Put a reminder in your phone for this evening to bring to school tomorrow any pictures or art supplies you want to use on your poster.
- Share the start of your poster with your neighbor and explain it!
Formative (class discussions, book check)
Process (scaffolded questions, learning style [visual, auditory])