Goals for the Week:
- Follow along with the daily readings of short stories.
- Continue working on your Choice Board project
- Continue to collaborate with teachers and classmates
- Read “The Necklace” by Guy de Maupassant
- Look up and understand vocabulary words
- Write a creative epilogue to the story
- ELAGSE9-10L4 Determine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words and phrases based on grades 9–10 reading and content, choosing flexibly from a range of strategies.
I can understand vocabulary words so that I can read, analyze, and add to “The Necklace.”
Let’s start with a quickwrite! Set yourself a timer for 5 minutes and write a response to this prompt:
- Why do some people pretend to have more money than they actually have?
Your assignment for this unit!
You will have one major assignment for this unit, and you get to choose it! Visit the choice board and select one project to complete about one story. In other words,
- Choose one of the short stories we read over the next two weeks.
- Choose one project from the Choice Board
- Here is the full list of stories and the Choice Board.
- Complete your chosen project about your chosen story by Friday, May 1st, at 11:59pm
Today’s Story: “The Necklace” by Guy de Maupassant
Before reading the story, look up these words so you know their meanings when you encounter them in the reading:
(Hint: try using easydefine.com!)
Once you’ve gotten the story all read, consider what happened and how it ended. Go discuss it with a family member, and then come back for our closing session 🙂
Write a paragraph and and email it to your teacher – this is supposed to be creative and fun!
- The story leaves the reader wondering what Madame Loisel will do with the rest of her life. Write a 1-2 paragraph epilogue about Madame Loisel’s life after she discovers the truth!!
Looking Ahead: Monday’s Story
Remember, no lessons on Friday! If you want to get ahead on things, here is the story we’re reading on Monday: