- ELAGSE9-10W2 Write informative/explanatory texts to examine and convey complex ideas, concepts, and information clearly and accurately through the effective selection, organization, and analysis of content. Georgia ELA
- ELAGSE9-10W2.a Introduce a topic; organize complex ideas, concepts, and information to make important connections and distinctions; include formatting (e.g., headings), graphics (e.g., figures, tables), and multimedia when useful to aiding comprehension. Georgia ELA
- ELAGSE9-10W2.b Develop the topic with well-chosen, relevant, and sufficient facts, extended definitions, concrete details, quotations, or other information and examples appropriate to the audience’s knowledge of the topic. Georgia ELA
- ELAGSE9-10W2.c Use appropriate and varied transitions to link the major sections of the text, create cohesion, and clarify the relationships among complex ideas and concepts. Georgia ELA
- ELAGSE9-10W2.d Use precise language and domain-specific vocabulary to manage the complexity of the topic. Georgia ELA
- ELAGSE9-10W2.e Establish and maintain an appropriate style and objective tone. Georgia ELA
- ELAGSE9-10W2.f Provide a concluding statement or section that follows from and supports the information or explanation presented (e.g., articulating implications or the significance of the topic). Georgia ELA
Students will draft an essay about a social issue that affects their culture or community.
Let’s review how to turn in your essay when you’re finished with it!
You will have the entire class period to draft your essay! Here are the requirements:
- 750-1000 words
- MLA format, including parenthetical citations and a Works Cited page
- Citations from AT LEAST 2 sources
- AT LEAST 4 quotes total (but more is better!)
- You must explain a social issue to me AND explain how that issue affects your culture. You do NOT need to go into detail explaining your culture – you did that on the last essay!
- You should also explain how your social issue can affect at least one other culture besides your own.
- Your essay should be well-organized and include an introduction, body, and conclusion.
TURN IT IN!!!!
Summative (social issue essay)
Process (scaffolding, outlining, graphic organizers), Interest (topic choice)